Call for Proposals
Featured symposia acknowledge the commitment of AARE to honour and showcase current and outstanding educational research. In 2017 the AARE Executive and Conference Committee invite researchers to submit a symposium proposal based on the conference theme: Education: What’s politics got to do with it?.
Two submissions will be selected as featured symposia with any submissions not successful being programmed as symposia within the general conference program.
Members are encouraged to consider innovative formats as they design their proposals for these featured sections of the program. If an innovative format is being proposed, it will need to be described and justified in the overview of symposia section of the application. It is also possible to propose a more conventional symposium format if this is well suited to the topic, content and methodology of the research being presented. In this case each symposium should consist of a minimum of three (3) and a maximum of four (4) individual papers.
Regardless of the format proposed, successful applications will have widespread appeal and will explore contemporary issues for educational research that link to the broad conference theme.
AARE invites proposals for Featured Symposia from Special Interest Groups and individual members of AARE. Please note, each submission will be assessed separately against the criteria by a Featured Symposia sub-Committee comprised of experienced researchers who are members of the Association, led by the Immediate Past President. The symposium proposer must identify a convenor/chair and will usually also identify a discussant for the session.
Proposals should be submitted directly to firstname.lastname@example.org using the template provided below. Please do not submit a featured symposium proposal via the Abstract Submission Portal as they will not be reviewed as Featured Symposia unless they are submitted to the submissions email. Please ensure you insert the submitter’s name and ‘Featured symposium’ in the subject line of the email when submitting.
All proposals must be submitted by 5:00pm on Tuesday, 16 May 2017.
Please ensure that all participants listed in your proposal are available for the full duration of the program.
All submissions should include the following:
- Title of the session
- Full names of all participants, along with their affiliations, and the roles they will take during the presentation.
- 400-word overview of the symposium – which includes a description and justification of the proposed format.
- 300-word supporting statement indicating the relevance of the theme/issue as a featured symposium in accordance with the following selection criteria:
- Quality of the research
- National/international significance
- Impact on practice, policy or theory
- Quality of the symposium as a whole including rigorous coverage of issues specific to the conference theme, innovation in presentation mode, and relationships between papers.
- In addition, the names of all presenters and their affiliations must be included, along with a clear indication of the presenter’s role in the proposed session. Where the symposium involves three (3) to (4) separate papers, please include a 400-word abstract for each paper. Please note each abstract will be assessed separately against the first four criteria. Where an innovative format is proposed please include a 400-800 word abstract of the key elements of the session.