Discover Sydney & New South Wales
Area: 809,444 square kilometres
Sydney population: 5,131,326 in 2017
State population: 7.544 million in September 2014
Sydney is known as the Harbour City. It's the largest, oldest and most cosmopolitan city in Australia with an enviable reputation as one of the world's most beautiful and liveable cities.
Brimming with history, nature, culture, art, fashion, cuisine, design, Sydney's set next to miles of ocean coastline and sandy surf beaches. Long-term immigration has led to the city’s reputation as one of the most culturally and ethnically diverse cities in Australia and the world. The city is also home to the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge, two of the most iconic structures on this planet.
Following is a list of places to explore while you are in Sydney:
- A swim at one of the many picturesque beaches
- Visit Sydney’s Iconic Luna Park
- Cruise the magnificent Sydney harbour on a ferry
- Take in Australia’s most recognisable landmarks – the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge
- Explore the Royal Botanic Gardens
- Book a walking tour of the Historical Rock district, where cobbled laneways of the convict colony remain
- Shop at the glorious Queen Victoria Building
- Visit Taronga Zoo
- Take in the 360-degree view from the Sydney Tower’s outdoor platform
- Dine at world-class restaurants.
For more information please visit www.sydney.com/destinations/sydney/sydney-city
Sydney Ideas is the University of Sydney's public events program, to view what's happening please visit www.sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/sydney-ideas.html